Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What Are You Doing?


In today’s reading for our Lenten Study, Edward Hays tells a story from the Middle Ages:

A person came to one of the great cathedrals that was being built and stopped at three stone masons who were carving away. The pilgrim asked them all the same question: “What are you doing?”

The first mason said, “Chipping stone, as you can see.” The second mason said, “I am making a living. I’m providing food and shelter for my family.” And the third mason said, “I am building a great cathedral!”

He then asks the questions: How do you view your life’s work: as part of building up a great cathedral – the church, the Body of Christ – or simply as a means of making a living? An important Lenten work is learning to see whatever work you do as being part of the great and divine design to re-create the world.

What about your work – how do you see what do you in your life (work, family, recreation, etc) as a part of building up the Body of Christ?

1 comment:

  1. I really like this medieval story about the stone masons. It helps you look at your life with a new perspective. Even the simplest skill can contribute to the grand scheme of God's love. Every life (even mine) can help.
    I've been keeping this in mind as I go about my days this Lent. It gives me a sense of purpose and excitement. As the author of our Lenten study expresses it: "Life is a-mazing!"

    ReplyDelete