Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Get Off the Bench

In today's reading for our Lenten Study, Edward Hays tells a story about a famous NFL quarterback, Fran Tarkenton. When he was a third-string college quarterback, he seized the moment by running onto the field. The first-string quarterback figured the coach had made a substitution, which the coach had not. Tarkenton called a play that went for a touchdown, with several more big plays following so that the team won. He got off the bench, and his actions made him a career!

Hays asks the question: What is the point when we cease waiting and jump up and do what needs to be done?

In reflecting on this, I think I tend to be the kind of person who jumps in to get things done, sometimes speaking or acting where some waiting would be better! (Of course, I do tend to wait on the things I would rather NOT do!!) In our faith lives there needs to be a balance between waiting on God, and acting in faith. How do we find that balance?

Do you tend to wait until things happen to you? Or do you tend to charge in and make things happen?

1 comment:

  1. I tend to wait until things happen. But sometimes I forget that I am waiting and here is when the trouble starts (-;

    ReplyDelete